If your market uses a POS machine, a SNAP transaction will work like this:
- The POS machine is located at a central market location and is operated by a market manager or volunteer.
- Customers visit the POS machine and decide how much they want to spend.
- The customer is given tokens or scrip (paper tickets) for the amount they choose to spend.
- The customer visits vendors and uses the tokens/scrip just like cash.
- You CANNOT give change for SNAP tokens/scrip.
- Collect your SNAP tokens/scrip for reimbursement with the market.
It is up to Market Management to decide on the best means of reimbursement. Talk to your market manager for details on your reimbursement.
- Markets that have the funds to do so may reimburse their vendors at the end of every market day.
- Many markets may ask their vendors to collect tokens/scrip until a certain amount is reached before reimbursement.
- Markets may reimburse with cash, check, or by crediting funds toward market fees.