Training Your Vendors
You CANNOT sell:
- Hot food
- Arts and crafts
- Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, or tobacco
- Pet foods
See a full listing of items at http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/retailers/eligible.htm.
- Only eligible items can be sold for SNAP redemption
- NO CHANGE (no cash back) can be given on SNAP transactions. The sale must be for the exact amount of scrip/tokens or the customer can make up the difference with cash.
- SNAP benefits may NEVER be exchanged for cash
- Your market may have additional guidelines and you may ask Vendors to sign a Vendor Agreement
If vendors are not properly trained, and one or more vendor violates the SNAP program guidelines, then the market may lose their SNAP eligibility. For this reason, it is very important that your vendors are trained and understand SNAP guidelines! Consider asking your vendors to sign a Vendor Agreement and provide them with a copy of this Vendor ‘Cheat Sheet’.
Every participating vendor should receive proper SNAP training. Feel free to use this Vendor Training Presentation or come up with your own way to train your vendors. The FNS office may also provide your market with training materials. You may also ask vendors to sign a Vendor Agreement and provide them with this Vendor ‘Cheat Sheet’.